Friday, April 10, 2009

Ice cream and more.

The food has been great out here. We've been getting fresh baguettes every day, yummy pastries and ice cream. Elizabeth told Bruce this morning that she wants to stay in Buenos Aires and live here. Hmmmm, I wondered why she said that and what she is liking so much out here. After asking her why she wanted to live here she gave me the following answer: "Because we eat ice cream every day"! Pretty funny. I do have to say that the ice cream is really good.


Even Thomas has been loving the ice cream. (Yes grandpa he got some).

Even though we have a nice kitchen here at the apartement we have enjoyed going out for dinner occasionally. It is so cheap to go out that it is sometimes not even worth it to cook. We went to this cute little restaurant called Cumana. Our entrees were about $4.50 and the empanadas were $0.80. The food was so good.

Elizabeth and daddy at the restaurant.


The empanadas were freshly baked in a stone oven. Yummy!

One night we were at the mall and Elizabeth was getting cold, not because it was cold outside but because of the airconditioning. She wanted hot cocoa and this is what Bruce got her. It is a type of hot cocoa that is called a submarino. You get a cup of hot milk and a piece of chocolat that looks like a submarine. You then drop the submarine in the hot milk add some sugar, let it dissolve and voila you have a yummy cup of hot cocoa. We had already dropped the submarine in the milk but Bruce took it out quickly so I could take a picture.

Our friends Sergio and Sylvia.
We went out for dinner and they arranged an english speaking babysitter for us. It worked out great.

Some other fun facts. The supermarkets here are a lot like Holland. They are small and they are all over. I am used to going to the store and getting what ever I need, put it in the trunk of the car and drive home. Well things are a little different here. First we did not have a car and second if we had one I could not have taken it to the store since there is really no parking space (at least not at the supermarkets around our apartement). So if I needed something I would just go to the store and buy it, but not too much since I only had the little baskets under the stroller. We found out that the supermarkets here have a delivery service and we loved it. They deliver the food to your front door for a whooping $1.08. Isn't that a great service!

I am also loving the weekly maid service that comes with the apartement rental. Once a week a lady come over here for three hours and cleans the whole house. She even offered to do our ironing for less than $3 an hour (wow).

Coming here I had brought some extra baby food for Thomas so I didn't have to worry about getting it immediately. Well as we started doing our shopping I had a hard time finding baby food. Our first sunday at church I started asking the sisters with little babies and children were I could find baby food and they gave me the "what are you talking about look". It turns out that they don't sell baby food in jars in Argentina. They just make their own food. Which is no problem but when you travel it is easier to have it. We found out that Brasil and Chili have baby food in jars so as Bruce traveled there for work he brought me back enough to last us till we return to the US. Happy day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheap maid service, cheap grocery deliveries, cheap food, and ice cream everyday! I am moving to BA right now!

Tera said...

It sounds like so much fun. Maybe you could bring the maid home with you. I'd like someone to clean my house once a week. If only I could afford it. Ha ha!